Brined Grilled Chicken
Brining adds great flavor to chicken breasts and keeps them exceptionally moist.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. all-natural sea salt
- 6 cups filtered water, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (6 oz.) each
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine salt and 1 cup water, stirring to dissolve. Add 2 more cups water and mix.
- Place chicken breasts, skin-side down, in a large glass baking dish. Pour brine over chicken breasts; add remaining 3 cups water. Cover and refrigerate for 3–4 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill on medium. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Remove chicken from brine; discard brine. Loosen skin from chicken breasts and rub half of the garlic mixture onto the flesh. Smooth skin back over chicken.
- Rub remaining garlic mixture over chicken skin. Let stand for 15 minutes. Place skin-side down on grill, 6" from heat. Cover and grill for 8 minutes, then turn. Cover and grill 8 minutes longer, then check chicken for doneness. Grill until meat is no longer pink or until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.