Brisket Mopping Sauce
Coffee is the secret ingredient in this rich sauce. You can substitute 2 tablespoons of red chili powder for the roasted pasilla chili if you’d like.
Makes: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pasilla chili
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 serrano or habanero chili, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- Place pasilla chili on baking sheet and roast at 400°F for 5 to 6 minutes until fragrant. Place on kitchen towel to cool. Break into chunks and place in blender or food processor with coffee. Blend or process until smooth.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until slightly thickened.