Broccoli Cheddar Rice
If you prefer a creamier texture, use American cheese instead of Cheddar cheese. If you want extra fiber and flavor, add 1⁄2 cup roasted walnuts or pecans or top with sesame seeds.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, cooked
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the onion, stirring often, until it becomes tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook for 3 to 5 minutes with the onion. Stir the broccoli into the rice mixture.
- Pour the rice mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Stir in the chicken broth, salt, pepper, and Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over top of mixture. Cover the casserole with foil and bake until the rice is cooked and the cheese bubbly, about 45 minutes.