Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Made from all-natural ingredients, this gluten-free variety of a classic broccoli soup is even tastier (and cheesier) than the one you buy at a restaurant.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1¼ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
- Prepare an ice bath: fill a large bowl with cold water and ice cubes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and add broccoli and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove broccoli from the water and place in the ice bath.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 6 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth, water, almond milk, and cream. Heat another 3–4 minutes.
- Whisk in the cornstarch, Italian seasoning, and remaining salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and half the broccoli florets. Continue stirring until cheese melts. Pour the mixture into a blender and pulse until puréed.
- Return soup to the stockpot and stir in the remaining broccoli.