Broccoli and Cheese Strata
Do not use regular whole-wheat sandwich bread in this recipe or the strata will lack flavor and be mushy. You may substitute a whole-wheat French baguette with the crust removed for the whole-grain artisan bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups lightly toasted whole-grain artisan bread, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick spray. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté the shallot until it is translucent and softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until it just starts to turn golden, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the broccoli. Allow the mixture to cool completely before proceeding with the next step.
- Whisk together the egg whites, egg yolks, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the bread cubes, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, and cooled broccoli. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place a heavy weight on top of the strata so that the custard mixture can soak into the bread. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake the strata, preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the strata on the middle rack and bake until the center is set and cooked through, about 1 hour.