Broccoli in Parmesan Sauce
This recipe works well with many different varieties of cheese, including Cheddar, Swiss, and even soy cheese.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Water, as needed
- 1 lb. broccoli, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a medium-sized saucepan with 1" of water. Place a metal steamer inside the pan. Make sure the water is not touching the bottom of the steamer. Heat the water to boiling.
- When the water is boiling, add the broccoli pieces to the steamer. Cover and steam until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Stir in the flour. Whisk in the milk, nutmeg, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking continually.
- Reduce heat slightly and whisk in the grated cheese. Bring to a boil again and stir in the broccoli. Heat through and serve hot.