Broccoli Pesto Pasta
Adding broccoli to a basic pesto recipe easily elevates the nutrient density and flavor. To make it a meal, try pairing your homemade pesto with chickpea pasta.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 12 minutesTotal: 22 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 ounce fresh basil, stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, if desired
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 ounces shell pasta
- Broccoli, blanched, if desired
- Sliced Almonds, if desired
- Bring pot of salted water to boil. Cook broccoli florets 2 to 3 minutes, until bright green and tender crisp. Remove from water and place in bowl of ice water.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in bowl of food processor, combine broccoli, basil, lemon juice, garlic, almonds, parmesan, salt, and peppers. Pulse a few times to breakdown. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil until pesto is evenly blended.
- Toss pesto with warm pasta. Serve with additional parmesan cheese, broccoli, and sliced almonds, if desired.