Broccoli, Red Pepper and Fontina Pizza
For non-vegetarian meals, add crumbled bacon or finely diced ham to this pizza for a salty, smoky accent.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups pizza sauce
- 4 cups small broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- Roll or press pizza dough into 2 circles (12 inch in diameter), slightly thicker at the edges than in the center. Grease pizza pans with olive oil and place dough in pan. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread 3⁄4 cup sauce in the center of each pizza, leaving one inch around the edges bare.
- Distribute 2 cups broccoli florets evenly over each pizza, leaving edges bare. Arrange bell pepper slices over broccoli. Top with 1 cup fontina sprinkled over each pizza.
- If using a hot stone or tiles, use a well-floured pizza peel to carefully lift one pizza from preparation surface and place on stone. If using pizza pans, place first pizza in the center of the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from oven carefully. Set aside to rest briefly before slicing. Repeat baking process with second pie.