Broccoli Soup with Cheese
There is a lot to love about broccoli soup. Both nourishing and full of fiber, it can be enriched with cream or heated up with spicy pepper jack cheese.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and potato until softened slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, wine, broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Transfer soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Return to pot and reheat if necessary.
- Serve soup topped with cheese.