Broccoli Stem Hummus
The tough stems of broccoli are often discarded after the tender florets are used in a recipe. Instead of tossing these stems into the trash, give them a tasty second chance as a nutrient dense hummus that’s perfect for snacking.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutes
- 10 ounces broccoli stems, peeled and chopped into 2” pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli stems and cook for 6-8 minutes or until tender when tested with a paring knife.
- Remove broccoli stems from water and place into a bowl of ice water. When broccoli is cool, drain.
- Transfer broccoli stems to the bowl of a food processor. Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve as you would traditional hummus.
- Refrigerate leftovers.