When broccoli is properly prepared, the florets are bright green, tender, and mildly flavored. Serve this simple side dish with a pasta casserole and a fresh fruit salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Place broccoli florets in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5–7 minutes, until crisp and tender.
- Meanwhile, place olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 4–6 minutes, until crisp and tender.
- Drain broccoli thoroughly and add to skillet with onion and garlic. Toss to coat broccoli with onion mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, toss gently, and serve.