Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
This broccoli dish is delicious and uncomplicated, and the cheese sauce is wonderful with cauliflower as well.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ lbs. fresh broccoli
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. grated sweet onion
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash paprika
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Trim broccoli, discarding large leaves and tough ends of lower stalks. Wash well, drain, and cut stalks and florets into bite-sized pieces.
- Place a steamer in a large saucepan over about 1" water. Add broccoli to steamer and steam broccoli over medium-high heat for about 5–7 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; add onion and sauté until soft. Stir in flour, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat.
- Serve broccoli with cheese sauce.