Broiled Marinated Steak (Bistecca)
These steaks also work great on the grill.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 lb. sirloin steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- In a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the steaks comfortably, combine the olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Lay the steak in the marinade and turn it to coat both sides completely. Let the steak marinate for at least 6 hours in the refrigerator, turning it every so often.
- Preheat the broiler. Remove the steak from the baking dish (discard the marinade). Broil it 3 inches from the heat for about 4 minutes on each side or until it is done to your taste. Remove from broiler and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before carving. Slice into 1⁄2-inch strips, cutting slightly on the bias. Transfer the steak to a warmed platter and serve immediately.