Broiled Oysters on the Half Shell
Covering the oysters with a crumb coating protects them from the broiler’s intense heat. For an added touch, sprinkle a few crumbs of Cabrales cheese over the broiled oysters before serving.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 24 live oysters
- 3⁄4 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3⁄4 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- Scrub the outside of the oyster shells to remove any dirt or grit. To open the oysters, carefully insert a knife into the back hinge of the oyster between the top and bottom shell. Move back and forth with the knife, cutting the muscle, until you are able to open the shells. Remove the top shell, being careful not to drain off the oyster juice.
- Preheat the broiler to medium.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the breadcrumbs, chopped garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, and ground cumin, and process until the mixture has a crumb-like consistency (about 15 seconds).
- Spread 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of the breadcrumb mixture on top of the oysters. Place the oysters on the broiler and broil until the crumbs turn golden brown and the oysters are just cooked (2 to 3 minutes).