Broiled Scallops with Apple-Wood Smoked Bacon
This is a delicious appetizer or first course dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 slices of apple-wood smoked bacon, cut in half
- 12 large scallops, patted dry
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pitted and chopped black olives
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 Tbsp. drained capers
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the bacon on a nonstick baking sheet and precook for about 8 minutes. The bacon should be almost fully cooked but still pliable. Drain the bacon on paper towels; discard the fat from the baking sheet. Turn on the broiler.
- Lay the bacon slices on a clean flat work surface. Place 1 scallop on each piece of bacon. Wrap the bacon around the scallop and secure with a toothpick. Brush the wrapped scallops with the olive oil and brown under a hot broiler for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until scallops are cooked and bacon is slightly caramelized.
- Mix the next 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Pour in enough olive oil to glaze the mixture together, mix to combine. Serve the scallops with the olive relish on the side.