This is a good vegetable side dish to serve with macaroni and cheese or stuffed peppers.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium-large tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Cut each tomato horizontally in half. Set tomatoes with their cut sides up in an enamel-coated cast iron baking dish (aluminum will react with the acid in tomatoes, and glass should not be used under a broiler).
- Sauté the garlic and bread crumbs in olive oil for 1 minute over medium heat. Combine bread crumbs and garlic with cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Top each tomato half with ¼ of the bread-crumb mixture.
- Turn on broiler and carefully broil crumb topping until golden. Lower the temperature of the oven to 350°F and continue cooking the tomatoes through for about 30 minutes more.