Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups bread crumbs or graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- ½ cup packed brown or granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8" square baking pan.
- In a skillet, combine the crumbs and butter. Place over low heat and stir until lightly browned. Place one-third of the crumb mixture in the prepared pan. Arrange half of the apples over the crumbs. Sprinkle with half of the sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Top with half of the remaining crumbs and all the remaining apples, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cover with the remaining crumbs.
- Pour the water evenly over the top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.