This rustic bread is delicious with butter or served as an alternative to Boston brown bread with baked beans.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 tsp. vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup rolled oatmeal
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, divided
- ⅓ cup light molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" × 5" loaf pan with shortening and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast oatmeal until fragrant, about 3–5 minutes. Cool completely. Grind in food processor or blender.
- In large bowl, combine ground oatmeal, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and granulated sugar and mix well. Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut in butter until particles are fine. Stir in ¼ cup sunflower seeds.
- In small bowl, combine molasses, egg, buttermilk, and water and mix well. Add to flour mixture all at once, and stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of sunflower seeds.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes until dark brown and firm. Cool completely.