Brown Butter Crepes
Save to My Recipes
These crepes make a terrific wrapping for rich chocolate mousse, fresh fruit, or ice cream. But don’t discount them for chicken or seafood!
Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutes
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- ½ vanilla bean, scraped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. water
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Let butter sizzle, and cook until solids sink to the bottom to toast and blacken. Remove from heat, add zest and vanilla, and set aside to cool.
- In a blender, combine cooled brown butter, eggs, flour, milk, water, and salt, and mix to the consistency of thin cream. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter, let it sizzle, then add enough batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook, swirling the pan, for 1 minute. Flip and cook the other side 1 minute, until golden brown. Turn onto a plate, and repeat with remaining butter and batter.