Brown Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds
For best results, soak the brown rice overnight to help make it softer and lighter. This can be served as a side dish or paired with beans to create a perfect meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ⅓ cup almonds, slivered
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups long grain brown rice
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. dried marjoram, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place the almonds in small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3–4 minutes, until lightly browned. Place almonds in a small bowl.
- In the small skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in oil. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until thoroughly mixed, about 1 minute. Add parsley, broth, and marjoram, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until all the water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked, about 50 minutes. Uncover, fluff with fork, and let stand for a few minutes. Stir in toasted almonds and season with salt and pepper.