Brown Rice Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
This recipe is pure comfort food—it will give your grandmother’s spaghetti and meatballs a run for their money.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb. hot Italian pork sausage (no sugar added), casings removed
- 4 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 2 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb. brown rice spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot, cook ground beef and Italian sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer uncovered 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In another large pot, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add brown rice spaghetti. Cook uncovered 6 to 8 minutes or until spaghetti reaches desired doneness. Drain pasta and add to serving bowl.
- Pour sauce over spaghetti. Garnish with fresh parsley.