Brown Sugar Coffee Cake
This simple cake is as comforting as it gets. Served with a steaming cup of coffee or tea, it’s a perfect start to the day.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch-round, 2-inch-deep cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut a circle of parchment to fit in the bottom, and then coat the top of the parchment with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl sift together cake flour, 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix melted butter with the egg, milk, and molasses. Add butter mixture to flour mixture, stir to blend thoroughly, and pour into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour with remaining brown sugar. Mix well, then cut in cold butter using fingertips or a pastry blender, until chunks are pea-sized. The streusel is ready when it holds together when squeezed, but easily crumbles apart. Be careful not to over mix.
- Generously crumble streusel over the batter, then bake until risen and firm to the touch, about 30 to 40 minutes. Cool before removing from pan.