Brown Sugar French Toast
Stale hearty bread, sliced 1 inch thick, is ideal for making French toast.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 thick slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, salt, and ground nutmeg.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium to low-medium heat.
- Dip one of the pieces of bread in the egg mixture, coating well. Continue with the remaining pieces of bread, but only dip as many pieces of bread in the mixture as you are cooking at one time.
- Lay the soaked bread in the skillet. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes until browned, then turn over and cook the other side.
- Serve the French toast with maple syrup.