Brown and Wild Rice Pilaf
This healthy take on a classic boxed rice blend is full of flavor. It can be made ahead of time and frozen. When you are ready for it, all you need to do is microwave it to heat it up and top it with pecans.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large rib celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- ½ cup wild rice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Heat a Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper. Sauté 10 minutes until the vegetables are very soft and beginning to brown.
- Stir in the brown and wild rice. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes without lifting the lid. Lift the lid and test the rice on top. If is still crunchy, cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Leave the cover on and let the rice sit for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with parsley and chopped pecans and serve hot.