Crunchy grilled bread and luscious, juicy tomatoes taste great together. Serve this as an appetizer or for a light lunch. Use a variety of colorful heirloom tomatoes for a gorgeous presentation!
Serves: 18Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. ripe tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, divided
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- Chop tomatoes in a 1⁄4-inch dice and place in a large bowl with red onion, basil, 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper. Mince 1 clove garlic and stir into tomato mixture.
- Slice bread diagonally into 24 pieces, about 1⁄2 inch thick. Grill on each side until browned, about 1 minute per side. Use the remaining 2 cloves garlic to rub directly on one side of the grilled bread and brush with remaining olive oil.
- To serve, place the tomato mixture in a serving bowl and center on a serving platter. Arrange bread with the garlic and oil side up, on the platter around the bowl.