Blinis are a classic pancake used not for breakfast, but for savory snacks. Serve them classically, topped with sour cream and caviar or smoked salmon.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1¾ tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, butter, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Stir yeast into the lukewarm milk. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks until light and foamy, and stir into batter. Add salt and enough buckwheat flour to create a loose batter. Cover with a moist towel and set aside until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks, and fold into risen batter. Rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When hot, ladle batter out in ¼ cup puddles, and cook until bubbles appear on surface, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook 1 minute on the opposite side until firm in the center. Keep pancakes warm in a low oven while repeating with remaining batter.