Buckwheat Pancakes with Berries
Buckwheat is nutritious, delicious, and adds a lovely dark hue to foods it is cooked with. It’s high in fiber and protein, making it a good choice for people watching their cholesterol.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, and egg white and beat well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar and mix well. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk mixture. Stir just until batter is mixed; do not over mix.
- Grease a skillet or griddle with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Using a ¼-cup measure, scoop batter onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles form on the surface and begin to break. Flip pancakes and cook for 1–2 minutes on second side.
- Serve with maple syrup and berries.