Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookies
These hearty gluten-free cookies have a hint of cardamom and you’ll love the jam baked into the centers.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. softened coconut oil
- ¾ packed cup light brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (or egg replacer)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. canned coconut milk
- 3½ Tbsp. raspberry jam
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until combined. Add eggs and beat to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flours, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, cocoa powder, cardamom, and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to stand mixer bowl and mix on low speed until doughy, gradually adding coconut milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Position a rack in center of oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop out 10 balls and place about 2" apart on prepared cookie sheet. Press a thumbprint into center of each ball, about ½" deep. Fill each indentation with about 1 teaspoon jam.
- Bake 12–15 minutes or until golden around edges. Remove cookies and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool.