Bœuf Carottes (Beef and Carrot Stew)
Save to My Recipes
This simple slow-cooked beef and carrot stew is always a success. Serve with a bowl of white rice.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 lbs. beef shanks, cut in 1½" cubes
- 12 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 bottles (12 oz.) ginger beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat a medium French oven (or pot) over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and add the oil. Add the diced onions and cook for 3 minutes; they should start to look translucent. Brown the cubes of beef shanks on each side, for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots to the pot, stir well, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the ginger beer on the meat and the carrots. Stir again. Add the bay leaf and the thyme, then the peppercorns, the salt, and the pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil over high heat. Once it has reached the boiling point, reduce to the lowest heat, put the cover on, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove bay leaf.