Bulgogi (Korean Marinated Beef)
Bulgogi is best when very thinly sliced beef is used. Freeze your beef for 30 minutes before slicing to get super-thin pieces. Some Asian markets sell specially cut beef for bulgogi, so it is worth checking out.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup water
- ½ large Asian pear, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. mirin
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 2 medium green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the meat and oil. Whisk to combine and let stand for 10 minutes. Add the sliced beef and let stand, at room temperature, for 30 minutes. Drain the beef well.
- Heat a large skillet, cast iron is best, over high heat. Once the pan is hot add oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add beef and cook, turning often until browned and well done, about 8–10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.