This whole-grain salad is made from bulgur wheat, which is simply whole wheat berries that have been steamed, dried, cracked, and rehydrated. Much of the Middle East relies on various versions of salad like this one, or tabouli, to stretch its meat supply. It absorbs the flavors of spices, aromatic vegetables, and meats.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup medium bulgur wheat
- 1½ cups water
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- Soak the bulgur in the water for at least 2 hours. Drain the excess water and put the bulgur in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bulgur and mix well. Let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.