These tender fritters are the perfect ending to any Mexican meal. Be sure to allow the dough to rest before rolling for the best texture.
Makes: 24 cookiesHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 24 cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups peanut oil
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Beat eggs, butter, vanilla, milk, and 1 tablespoon of sugar; add to flour mixture and blend well.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 24 pieces. Cover with a tea towel; allow to rest 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in an electric deep fryer or deep frying pan to 375°F.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Roll dough out in thin circles, 5"–6" in diameter. Fry one at a time in the hot oil, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.