Burgundy Pepper Beef
This take on a classic French Boeuf Bourguignon is a simple task in a slow cooker.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. stew beef, such as blade roast or chuck steak, cut into 2" cubes
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- ½ lb. button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- Spray a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick olive oil cooking spray. Mix ½ cup flour and pepper in a shallow dish. Toss beef cubes in flour mixture to lightly coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown beef 3 minutes per side in batches, then place in slow cooker. Keep the oil in the pan.
- Sauté the onions and mushrooms over medium heat in the pan in the oil used for the beef, until onions are soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to the slow cooker with thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar, water, and vinegar. Cover and cook on low for 3–4 hours.
- One hour before serving, remove 2 tablespoons of sauce from the slow cooker and let it cool in a small bowl briefly before mixing it well with the remaining flour. Stir this into the sauce in the slow cooker, mixing well. Add the wine.