This Southern favorite offers a mild taste and creamy texture that’s sure to be the belle of any dinner you attend. Every family has a recipe for butter cake—but yours is the easiest.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cake mix, butter, and 1 egg until a shortbread-like batter forms. Pat this mixture into an ungreased 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Using a wooden spoon, combine cream cheese, remaining 2 eggs, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla.
- Layer cream cheese mixture over cake mixture, covering cake batter completely. Bake for 35 minutes.