For chocolate buttercream, add 4 ounces of melted chocolate to this recipe at the end. It’s excellent with milk chocolate. You can also add fruit liqueur or espresso to flavor the frosting.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 large eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- 1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, boil the sugar and water together without stirring until slightly thick and between 234°F and 240°F on a candy thermometer.
- Whisk together eggs and yolks in a double boiler or steel bowl atop a pot of simmering water. Gradually whisk in the hot sugar syrup; heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is hot to the touch, thick, and ribbony. Remove bowl from heat and continue whisking until cool, about 5 minutes more.
- In a mixer or bowl, beat the butter until it is fluffy and light. Gradually beat the whipped butter into the egg mixture, adding it in tablespoonfuls. Add the vanilla and whisk to incorporate. Cool over an ice-water bath until it reaches a comfortable consistency for spreading. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.