Buttermilk Oat Muffins
If you wish to make a traditional muffin recipe in a cast-iron muffin pan, reduce the oven temperature by 25°F to prevent the outside from cooking before the center does.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 6 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp. shortening, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- Place the oats and the buttermilk in a covered bowl and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir the sugar, eggs, and 2 tablespoons shortening into the oat mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, and then fold into the oat mixture.
- Use the remaining shortening to thoroughly grease each muffin pan cup. Fill the cups two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the muffins are cooked through, turn them out of the pan immediately and let cool slightly before serving.