These basic cakes can be embellished with many delicious ingredients. Blueberries, bananas, chocolate chips, pecans, bacon, green onions, and grated cheese are just a few possible variations. Adding a little cornmeal will give the pancakes some texture.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, using a whisk.
- Combine eggs, melted butter, and buttermilk in another bowl with whisk.
- Add just enough vegetable oil to a frying pan to coat the bottom. If you’re using a griddle that isn’t nonstick, lightly oil it to prevent pancakes from sticking. Heat pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Stir egg mixture into the flour mixture until combined, but don’t overmix.
- Pour about 1⁄3 cup batter onto hot, oiled griddle or pan for each pancake. Flip pancake when bubbles have formed and started to pop on one side. Cook on other side for a minute or two.