Buttermilk Streusel Coffee Cake
Most bakers include a version of this cake in their repertoire. It’s a delicious and popular coffee cake.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole buttermilk or sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl; cream with an electric mixer until light. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in buttermilk or sour cream and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; stir into creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, 3 tablespoons sugar, and chopped nuts; set aside.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Spoon remaining batter over nut mixture and then sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack; carefully loosen and remove from pan.