Butternut Squash and Chickpea Enchiladas
This weeknight-friendly enchilada recipe swaps traditional meat fillings with summer squash and delicious chickpeas. They’re easy to make and even easier to devour.
Serves: 5Prep: 15 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Ground Coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (10 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ancho powder
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Free Range Chicken Broth
- 2 serrano chilis, diced
- 10 8” corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cups shredded Mexican style cheese blend
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9”x13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- In bowl, toss together squash, olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. On baking sheet, place squash and roast in oven 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 10” skillet over medium heat, cook canola oil, onions, peppers, corn, chickpeas, 2 teaspoons of salt, coriander, bay leaves and half of roasted butternut squash for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In deep sauté pan over medium heat, cook enchilada sauce, cilantro, ancho powder and chicken broth for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In prepared baking dish, add ½ cup of enchilada sauce to cover bottom.
- To assemble enchiladas, spoon a quarter of butternut squash and chickpea mixture across center of tortilla, fold one side over filling and roll up. Repeat for each tortilla. In baking dish, nestle enchiladas against each other with seam side down.
- Top enchiladas with cheese, more sauce and remaining butternut squash. Bake 15-20 minutes, until sauce bubbles and cheese begins to brown. Let sit for 5 minutes.