Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna
Butternut squash adds a subtle sweetness the creamy sauce in this seasonal lasagna.
Serves: 12Prep: 45 minutesCook: 1 hour 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 2 cups Kroger® Half & Half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 container (15 oz.) whole milk ricotta
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 package (9 oz.) oven ready or no boil lasagna
- 6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9”x13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Toss squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon garlic powder. Bake 30-35 minutes or until squash is tender. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade; blend until smooth. Add half and half and nutmeg. Blend until combined; set aside.
- Meanwhile heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add kale, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper; sauté until wilted; set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together ricotta, egg, garlic powder and remaining salt; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature for 350°F.
- To assemble, spread ½ cup butternut squash mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with a single, even layer of lasagna noodles. Spread with 1 cup butternut squash mixture, ½ the kale, ½ the ricotta mixture and 2 cups of shredded cheese. Repeat layer of pasta, butternut squash, kale, ricotta and cheese. Finished with another layer of pasta, remaining butternut squash and remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover pan with sprayed foil; bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown around the edges and noodles are tender. Allow to stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip: Assemble lasagna the day before and refrigerate overnight. Add 10 minutes to initial baking time.