Butternut Squash Lasagna
Creamy lasagna, with a white béchamel sauce, is a delicious fall dinner as well as a perfect vegetarian Thanksgiving main dish.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½” cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 sage leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
- 12 basil leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk (or 3 cups low-fat milk and 1 cup half and half)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper, as desired
- Unsalted butter to grease the casserole dish
- 2 cups whole milk mozzarella cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash and the onion in the olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a large lined baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes, add the garlic, stir for even cooking, and continue cooking for another 15 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Remove the squash from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by melting the butter over medium high heat in a heavy bottom pot. Add the fresh sage and basil and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the flour, stir, and allow to cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the milk and whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Butter an 11 x 17” casserole dish.
- To assemble the lasagna, coat the bottom with a thin layer of sauce. Lay three of the noodles in a single layer in the dish. Top with half the squash mixture, a third of the shredded cheese, and a third of the remaining sauce. Repeat for the next layer. Top with the final three pasta noodles, the remaining sauce, and then the remaining shredded cheese.
- Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes while allowing it to cook without the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to three days.