Butternut Squash Pot Pie
This plant-based pot pie is packed with comforting ingredients, making it the perfect dish to serve to veggie-loving friends and family at the dinner table.
Serves: 6Prep: 35 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 package (10 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Butternut Squash
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In 2-quart casserole dish, grease with a thin layer of butter. Set aside.
- In food processor, combine flour, cornmeal, ½ teaspoon salt and 6 tablespoons butter. Pulse until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Flatten in a disk and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cook onion, celery, carrots, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften. Add flour; continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add vegetable broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add butternut squash, beans, cream and thyme; bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in peas.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out cornmeal dough to fit casserole pan. Place on top, cutting several slits to vent.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Allow to stand at least 10 minutes before serving.