Butterscotch Chocolate Brownies
These brownies are nice and chewy because of all of the brown sugar and the egg whites. You can glaze them with dark chocolate if you’d like.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook butter, watching carefully, until butter turns brown, about 9–10 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into large bowl; stir in cocoa.
- Stir in brown sugar and granulated sugar, then beat in egg, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir in all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix just until combined.
- Spoon and spread in prepared pan. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until brownies are just set and begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely on wire rack, then store in airtight container at room temperature.