Butterscotch Cream Pie
Butterscotch is a brown sugar-based custard with a hint of vanilla. The caramel notes of the brown sugar give the finished pie a complex, rich flavor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 4 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups whole milk
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 prepared graham cracker crust (9")
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- In a blender combine the milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, and salt. Purée until smooth, about 30 seconds, then transfer to a saucepan.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to boil and thicken, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir until melted. Pour into the prepared crust. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, or in a medium bowl with a hand mixer, combine the cream and confectioners’ sugar. Whip on medium-high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Spread on the pie and serve immediately.