My Father loved this delicious pie! The meringue is beautiful on top!
- 1 pie crust, 9-inch, baked
- 1 can evaporated milk, 12 ounces
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, reserve whites for meringue
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Bake crust and let cool. In a pot on top of the stove mix milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla and salt with a whisk. Add butter in one piece. Cook on medium high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until butter melts and mixture thickens. Stir constantly because this will burn easily. Once thickened, remove from heat and pour into pie crust.
- To make meringue, start beating egg whites, adding sugar while beating. Continue until peaks are formed. Spread on pie covering entire pie. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until brown on top or place under broiler until the peaks start to brown.