These are delicious with boiled potatoes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 small white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) whole tomatoes
- Cut the core out of cabbage and carefully cut off leaves, keeping them as large as possible. Blanch leaves in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes or until pliable. Drain and run cold water over leaves. Cut out large center veins of the largest leaves to make them easier to roll up.
- Combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Blend with your hands or a wooden spoon. Stir in 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Shape a few tablespoon of meat mixture into a round or cylindrical shape and place on a cabbage leaf. Roll up leaf, keeping filling enclosed. Secure roll with a toothpick and place in a large, heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining meat mixture and cabbage leaves.
- Combine tomato soup and tomatoes in a medium bowl with remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir to blend ingredients, breaking up tomatoes. Pour tomato mixture over cabbage rolls. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 1 1⁄2 hours.