Cabbage Rolls with Rice
Boiling the cabbage before removing the leaves makes it much easier to keep them whole. This recipe can easily be adapted to make more or fewer cabbage rolls, depending on how much rice you have to use.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 pepper
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Remove the core from the middle of the cabbage and discard. Place the cabbage in the boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes or until the leaves have softened. Use a wooden spoon to gently remove the outer leaves from the cabbage. Continue until you have removed all the leaves or as many as you need. Drain the leaves and dry on paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the rice and heat through.
- Lay out a cabbage leaf flat. Place 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup of rice in the center of the leaf. Add 2 tablespoons chicken Fold over the right side of the leaf, then the bottom, then the left side, and roll up the cabbage leaf. Fasten with a toothpick if desired.
- Place the rolls in the prepared casserole dish, sprinkle with seasonings, and add water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes or until heated through.