Cabbage Spring Rolls
Napa cabbage is essential to this dish. Only this soft and supple cabbage will provide the silky, almost “creamy” texture for the filling in these crispy spring rolls.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 cup peanut oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 4 spring roll wrappers
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese chili paste
- In a large, heavy sauté pan or wok, heat 3 tablespoons oil until barely smoking over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and scallion, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until the cabbage is well wilted. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Transfer the cabbage mixture to a colander and let drain for 10 minutes.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the cabbage in the center of each spring roll wrapper. Tuck in the sides of the wrapper and roll up like a burrito. Seal the edge with a drop of water.
- In a large pot, heat remaining oil to 350°F. Fry the spring rolls for about 2 minutes or until very crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix together the honey and chili paste in a small bowl and serve on the side to dip with spring rolls.