Cabbage and Tomato Soup
Leeks tend to trap a lot of sand and grit in between their layers. It’s important to wash leeks thoroughly before using them.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium leeks (light green and white parts), sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups cubed new potatoes
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 8 medium tomatoes
- In a soup pot, heat the oil on medium and sauté the onions, celery, garlic, and leeks for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, cabbage, rosemary, parsley, and thyme to the pot. Pour in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the tomatoes to the soup. Cover and heat until you can slip off the skins. Crush the tomatoes with the back of a large spoon. Rewarm the soup briefly.