Transport your taste buds to the desert with these cupcakes topped with graham cracker “sand” and pretzel rod cacti growing from their centers.
Serves: 12Prep: 20 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box cupcake mix (any flavor)
- 12 graham crackers
- White frosting
- 12 ounces white chocolate baking chips
- Green food coloring
- White sprinkles
- Red food coloring
- 12 pretzel rods
- Kids: Bake cupcakes according to package instructions. Let cool.
- Adults: While cupcakes cool, crush graham crackers into a fine powder “sand” by pulsing them in a food processor or blender. Pour the “sand” onto a shallow plate.
- Kids: Frost cupcakes lightly with frosting. (Set some frosting aside for a later step.) Roll each iced surface through the sand.
- Kids: Pour the baking chips into a microwave-safe glass bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each interval, until chips are fully melted. Mix a few drops of green food coloring into the melted chocolate. Carefully pour the green chocolate into a tall drinking glass.
- Kids: Break each pretzel rod in half. Dip each piece into the green chocolate, then add sprinkles to create white spines. Allow to harden on a sheet of wax paper set over a cooling rack. Place 2 pretzel rod pieces into each cupcake to make cacti.
- Kids: Mix reserved white frosting with a couple drops of red food coloring to make pink. Spoon frosting into a zip-top plastic bag. Snip off a small corner. Squeeze a little pink icing onto the top of each pretzel rod cactus to make a flower. Store cupcakes in an airtight container.